Let your rainbow colors fly! San Diego Pride is coming up this weekend, July 12-14. The glittery glamorous spotlight shines on Hillcrest, San Diego’s hip uptown neighborhood, during one of our city’s biggest summer events. Following is a quick guide to the big annual LGBT celebration.
Three Must-See San Diego Pride Events…
First, here’s the 411 on the big three must-see San Diego Pride events:
- 2nd annual Pride of Hillcrest Block Party on July 12, 6-11pm, on Normal St.; starring former Pussycat Doll Jessica Sutta.
- 39th Annual Pride Parade on July 13, 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM, down University Ave. Grand Marshalls are George Takei (of Star Trek fame!), his partner Brad and La Toya Jackson (really!)
- Pride Festival, July 13-14, in beautiful Balboa Park, featuring eight dance/entertainment stages, including Ms. Jackson in concert.
So many bars, so little time! Let’s narrow down the list a bit to these Top 10 tried and true hotspots:
- Baby Cakes – cocktails and cupcakes, sweet! Fab for people watching from the patio.
- Bourbon Street – a classy touch of N’Orleans in neighboring University Heights
- Brass Rail – the official Pride Parade After Party, and no cover!
- Flicks – Hillcrest’s #1 video bar.
- Gossip Grill – caters to the ladies (gents welcome too)
- Hillcrest Brewing Company – toast San Diego’s hop-pening craft beer scene and the world’s 1st LGBT brewery!
- Martinis Above Fourth – swanky digs and best martinis in town!
- Number One Fifth Avenue – friendly neighborhood bar with patio out back to mix & mingle
- Pecs – Bears, oh my! Good times on tap all weekend.
- Urban Mos – dance floor, 3 bars, packed patio and great food…yes please!
There are dozens of great restaurants in and around Hillcrest. Standouts include the new Great Maple, Project Pie (best pizzas!), D Bar and Snooze. Other favs: Baja Betty’s (muy bueno Mexican food), The Tractor Room, Yakitori Izakaya Tec Chan (for yummy late-night Japanese apps), Cucina Urbana and Café on Park (popular brunch spot!).
The coolest, closest gay-friendly hotel is Inn at the Park, just two blocks from Hillcrest and the Pride Festival. Their rooftop happy hour on Friday is off the charts!
- Pride Ball – July 12, 10:00 PM to 4:00 AM at Spin Night Club
- Circuit Daze – July 13, 10:00 PM to 4:00 AM at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park
- The famous [for some, infamous ;-)] Zoo Party – July 14, 4:00 to 11:00 PM at the San Diego Zoo
- Fete Accompli – July 14, 10:00 PM to 4:00 AM at the House of Blues downtown