Del Mar Racing Season
San Diego horse racing takes place where the “turf meets the surf” at the Del Mar Racetrack. Be part of the magic and nostalgia of this long-time horse race tradition dating back to 1937 when Bing Crosby greeted the first guests, and Seabiscuit won by a nose in the infamous race in 1938. This season features the nation’s top race horses, trainers and jockeys, and plenty of fun in the sun.
Where: Del Mar Racetrack – 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
When: July 19 – September 4, 2017
> Find out more about Del Mar Racing Season
Hop-Con 5.0: The w00tstout Festival
This year, in celebration of the Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout quinquennial, Stone will have all 5 versions on tap for you to sample the full vertical! They are taking over the entire Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station for the celebration and will be hosting a blast from the past with the best drafts, collaborations & creations from Hop-Cons of yesteryear! Not to mention three custom casks of this year’s Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout!
Where: 2816 Historic Decatur Rd, San Diego, CA 92106
When: July 19, 2017
Time: 7:00 to 11:00 PM
> Find out more about Hop-Con 5.0: The w00tstout Festival
Comic-Con International: San Diego
Visitors can be Super Man or Wonder Woman for a day at Comic-Con International at the San Diego Convention Center. Comic-Con has become a signature summertime event for San Diego; it is the largest comics and pop culture event in the United States, attracting thousands of artists, celebrities and fans of comic books, movie memorabilia and all things related to pop culture.
Where: 111 W. Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101
When: July 20-23, 2017
> Find out more about Comic-Con International: San Diego
The Legend Of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses
Celebrating 30 years of stirring virtual adventure and memorable soundtracks with live orchestral renditions directly approved by franchise producer Eiji Aonuma, The Symphony of the Goddesses is now in its fourth season. The two-hour concert comes to life with a 57-piece orchestra, 20-person choir, and a reimagined score that draws from recent and requested Zelda games, including A Link Between Worlds, Twilight Princess, and the remake of Majora’s Mask, while still paying homage to such classics as Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past.
Where: San Diego Civic Theatre – 1100 Third Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
When: July 21, 2017
Time: 8:00 to 10:00 PM
Cost: Starting at $43.50
> Find out more about The Legend Of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses
Ken Ludwig’s Robin Hood!
Packed with thrills, romance, laughs, and great characters like Little John, Friar Tuck, and Maid Marian, Robin Hood! tells the timeless story of a hero of the people who takes on the powers that be. So get ready to duck a quarterstaff or two – you won’t want to miss a moment of the swashbuckling fun!
Where: The Old Globe – 1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA 92101
When: July 22 – August 27, 2017
Cost: Tickets start at $29
> Find out more about Ken Ludwig’s Robin Hood!
Heroes Brew Fest
Heroes Brew Fest returns to Waterfront Park in downtown San Diego on Saturday, July 22nd! Just a short distance from the Convention Center, the year’s event will feature Game of Thrones’ Kristian Nairn (Hodor) as the headlining DJ!
Where: San Diego County Waterfront Park – 1600 Pacific Hwy, San Diego, CA 92101
When: July 22, 2017
Time: 4:00 to 8:00 PM
> Find out more about the Heroes Brew Fest
More Top Things to Do in San Diego
- SeaWorld’s Electric Ocean – Thru September 4, 2017
- Nighttime Zoo at the San Diego Zoo – Thru September 4, 2017
- Sunset Luaus on Mission Bay – Thru September 1, 2017
- California Dreaming Beach Party – Thru August 31, 2017
- Twilight in the Park Summer Concerts – Thru August 31, 2017
- Stagecoach Days – Thru August 26, 2017
- Summer Safari at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park – Thru August 13, 2017
- Guys and Dolls – Thru August 13, 2017
- Wonderspaces – Thru July 30, 2017
- Explore UTC: Storytime – July 18, 2017
- The Sword – July 18, 2017
- Doug Loves Moves – July 19-20, 2017
- Green Flash Concert Series: Steve Poltz – July 19, 2017
- Colin Hay – July 19, 2017
- Liberty Public Market Family Con – July 20, 2017
- Beer & Paint Party – July 20, 2017
- Jay and Silent Bob Get Old – July 20, 2017
- Comic Con After Party at BASSMNT – July 20, 2017
- Dana Gould – July 21-22, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live! – July 21-22, 2017
- Summer Concert Series – Hullabaloo – July 21, 2017
- Hollywood Babble-On – July 21, 2017
- Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 – July 21, 2017
- Insect and Ladybug Festival – July 22-23, 2017
- Kids Obstacle Challenge – July 22, 2017
- Mandy Harvey – July 22, 2017
- Fatman on Batman – July 22, 2017
- Market Night – July 22, 2017
- Live Music with Jerry “Hot Rod” Demink – July 22, 2017
Avoid the Traffic This Weekend on the Pacific Surfliner
This year, Comic-Con falls on the same weekend as the start of the summer racing season at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. To help accommodate the surge in travelers, Amtrak has added extra Pacific Surfliner trains between Los Angeles and San Diego.