Spend the upcoming weekend in San Diego enjoying everything California’s Beach City has to offer including these top things to do.
The Roaring Twenties brought us novel inventions, a racy new culture and dramatic social change…and for Violetta Valery, illness, judgment and sacrifice. This party girl lives life on her own terms, gives into pleasure for money and keeps her heart safe, until she meets a man who changes her life. Choosing love over freedom, Violetta cannot resist these feelings and the couple begin their life together, until an unwelcome visitor threatens their future. Will Violetta bend to the will of another or surrender to her heart? And can she do it in time?
Where: San Diego Civic Theatre – 1100 Third Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
When: Thru April 30, 2017
Cost: Starting at $50
> Find out more about La Traviata
San Diego Black Film Festival
Several films from previous years have gone on to win additional awards at other film festivals. More importantly, seven films that premiered at the San Diego Black Film Festival are either in negations or have already wrapped up distribution deals including the films “Locked in a Room,” now with Echo Bridge Entertainment, and our Best Comedy winner “The Donut Shop,” now with Viva Films. Good things await our 2017 filmmakers as well. See you in 2017.
When: April 26-30, 2017
Cost: Starting at $10
> Find out more about the San Diego Black Film Festival
Art Alive 2017 celebrates it’s 36th year and the stunning works of art on display in the Museum with more than 100 floral interpretations created by top local and national designers. This year marks the return of three-time Rotunda Designer Carlos Franco of Green Fresh Florals who will use his spectacular inventiveness to transform the John M. and Sally B. Thornton Rotunda into a botanical masterpiece.
Where: San Diego Museum of Art – 1450 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
When: April 27-30, 2017
> Find out more about Art Alive
The 53rd Annual Lakeside Rodeo brings the exciting action of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association to the Lakeside Arena with four full rodeo performances featuring the 7 events of rodeo to include bull riding, Bareback riding, Saddle bronc riding, Steer wrestling, Calf roping, Barrel racing (WPRA), Tie down roping, and Team roping…plus, the Kids Stick Horse Race is a hilarious to watch at each performance!
Where: Lakeside Rodeo Grounds – 12584 Mapleview St., Lakeside, CA 92040
When: April 28-30, 2017
> Find out more about the Lakeside Rodeo
Mission Federal ArtWalk
Mission Federal ArtWalk will fill 17 blocks in San Diego’s Little Italy neighborhood. Thousands of attendees come to view and purchase artwork, enjoy the music and dance and participate in interactive art experiences.
Where: India St & W Date St, San Diego, CA 92101
When: April 29-30, 2017
Time: 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM
> Find out more about the Mission Federal ArtWalk
San Diego Shaka Fest
The Fusion of Hawaiian Culture, Arts, & Athletics! A beautiful day on Mission Bay filled with amazing events such as a youth-only canoe regatta, SUP race for adults and keiki’s, stages of da kine Hawaiian and Tahitian entertainment, your favorite boutique vendors and island inspired food vendors to enjoy.
Where: Crown Point Park – Moorland Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
When: April 29, 2017
Time: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
> Find out more about the San Diego Shaka Fest
17th Annual Pet Day on the Bay
Hornblower’s popular, pup-friendly Pet Day on San Diego Bay promises a tail-wagging good time! This is the one time each year that Hornblower invites dogs to cruise for free with their owners.
Where: 1800 North Harbor Dr., San Diego, CA 92101
When: April 29, 2017
Cost: Starting at $25. Dogs cruise free
> Find out more about 17th Annual Pet Day on the Bay
Adams Avenue Unplugged
Adams Avenue Unplugged, a free musical walkabout, takes place along a two-mile stretch of Adams Avenue, from University Heights on the West through Normal Heights, and into parts of Kensington to the East. The event will feature live musical performances staged inside restaurants, bars, coffee houses and galleries lining the neighborhood.
Where: Adams Ave, San Diego, CA 92116
When: April 29, 2017
Time: 12:00 to 10:00 PM
> Find out more about Adams Avenue Unplugged
6th Annual Chocolate Festival
The history of chocolate and how it came to our country is an interesting tale of seafaring travels. This popular annual event with over 15 vendors showcasing and sampling various types of chocolate, has something for every palette. Kids and adults can make their own chocolate pizza, to delight chocolate lovers of all ages. The adults can participate in the wine and chocolate or beer and chocolate pairings as well as live baking and cooking with chocolate demonstrations.
Where: Maritime Museum of San Diego – 1492 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101
When: April 30, 2017
Time: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
> Find out more about the 6th Annual Chocolate Festival
MotorCars on MainStreet Car Show
Coronado MainStreet hosts an annual car show, MotorCars on MainStreet, featuring over 400 pre-73 restored classic, rod and custom cars & trucks. The event is held in downtown Coronado, one block from the beach.
Where: Isabella & Orange Avenues, Coronado, CA 92118
When: April 30, 2017
Time: 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
> Find out more about MotorCars on MainStreet Car Show
More Top Things to Do in San Diego
- 2017 Del Mar National Horse Show – Thru May 7, 2017
- Skeleton Crew – Thru May 7, 2017
- First Date – Thru May 7, 2017
- SeaWorld’s Seven Seas Craft Beer & Food Festival – Thru April 30, 2017
- Red Velvet – Thru April 30, 2017
- The Geeze & Me – Thru April 29, 2017
- Robin Henkel at House of Blues – April 25, 2017
- Tuesday Takeover Ft. Specialty Produce Divas – April 25, 2017
- Happy Hour with DJ Mike White – April 26, 2017
- Exploring Ocean Stem Careers night – April 26, 2017
- Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors – April 26, 2017
- San Diego Asian Film Festival Spring Showcase – Thru April 27, 2017
- Scott Thompson – April 27-29, 2017
- Community Art Show at Bay City Brewing – April 27, 2017
- Live Music with Cameron Calloway – April 27, 2017
- Asleep at the Wheel: Live at the Belly Up – April 27, 2017
- Artisan Table Signature Wine Series – April 27, 2017
- Scholarshare’s Toddler Time Finger Painting Friday – April 28, 2017
- Shady Ladies and Hop Heads Tour – April 28, 2017
- Encinitas Street Fair – April 29-30, 2017
- San Diego Kids Expo & Fair – April 29-30, 2017
- Big Ban Bash with Jazz @ The Jacobs Orchestra – April 29, 2017
- SDCDM Roots Celebrated the Pacific Islands – April 29, 2017
- MercyMe The Lifer Tour – April 29, 2017
- Charbono Fest – San Diego – April 29, 2017
- Spring Festival at Cuyamaca College – April 29, 2017
- Paranormal Investigation of the Davis-Horton House – April 29, 2017
- Ciclavista Walk+Bike – April 30, 2017
- Burlesque Brunch – April 30, 2017
- The Freshman (1925) – April 30, 2017
- San Diego County Vintners Association 22nd Annual Wine and Food Festival – April 30, 2017