I may not have a voice like Celine Dion, but I do enjoy singing “My Heart Will Go On,” from time to time. And why just give my shower and car the only chance to hear my beautiful, melodic voice? Singers of all abilities (or none at all) can sing in front of live audiences just like their favorite pop stars at local karaoke bars. Or just sit back and enjoy listening to everyone else sing “YMCA”. Here are my personal 5 to try:
1. The Lamplighter – This Mission Hills bar brings in a diverse variety of clientele. Patrons can enjoy karaoke every night of the week starting around 9 p.m. I once saw what looked like the leader of a biker gang sing right after a student from UCSD.
2. Kearny Mesa Bowl – What better combination of activities than a game of bowling followed up with a night of karaoke? This multi-tasking venue is also great for bar food and hearing 100’s of renditions of “Rhinestone Cowboy”. Karaoke is on weekends only from 9 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
3. 710 Beach Club – Ever dreamed of singing with your very own live band backing you up? Well you can at every Thursday night at this popular beach bar. As one Yelp reviewer puts it “a great place to make a cool YouTube video”. I also enjoy the epic beer pong tournaments and drinking Jenga.
4. Tio Leo’s – Killer Mexican food and great karaoke on Thursday and Saturday nights. After a few margaritas, even I start sounding good.
5. The Carriage House – I first went here for a sorority exchange in college and went back when I heard about the fabulous karaoke nights. They have a huge book of songs to choose (crucial!!) and even shuffle-board.