- One of San Diego’s most classic restaurants has moved to a new location and you’re invited to the grand opening
party! Corvette Diner, now located in Liberty Station in Point Loma celebrates its grand opening this Saturday and Sunday with more than 100 Corvettes on display, family-friendly activities and live music from a number of bands, including a Beatles tribute band. This free event will shake, rattle and roll from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days.
- This Sunday, at 5:30 p.m. Spreckels Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park takes you to infinity and beyond with an out of this world symphony under the stars. Conductor Mat Garbutt and the San Diego Symphony will play a series of outer space music, including popular scores from Star Trek and Star Wars. This concert event is free; however, spaceship parking is limited.
- If you love creepies and crawlies, check out the Annual Insect Festival at Quail Botanical Gardens this Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Bring your hand sanitizer and head on over for bug collecting, insect arts and crafts and even cooked mealworm larva tastings in flavors like mesquite, teriyaki and barbeque… uh… I think I’ll stick to chicken. Entomologists and other bug experts will be available for questions and answers. Children 12 and under will be admitted free, everyone else gets in for just $12.
- Ever dreamed of cozying up to watch a movie with Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones or Michelle Pfeiffer? Well you can this Saturday because the Maritime Museum presents Movies Before the Mast. Come aboard the Star of India and watch Sinbad:Legend of the Seven Seas (featuring the animated voices of Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michelle Pfeiffer) projected onto the ships massive sail. Bring blankets, family and friends and prepared to be entertained. Boarding begins at 6:30 p.m. and admission is $8 for kids, $13 for adults.
- There’s no crying in baseball, but there is drinking in softball! The 56th Annual World Championship Over-the-Line Tournament takes place this Saturday and Sunday on Mission Bay’s Fiesta Island from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. each day. This boisterous, fast-paced beach softball event is free to the public and features 1,200 teams competing to be the ultimate Over-the-Line Champions.