My dad is coming to visit me this weekend and I couldn’t be more excited! I decided to turn our weekend plans into a special “5 to try,” which includes some of our favorite things to do and some new places we’re going to check out.
I think we’re going to have a great time this weekend and maybe I’ll see you around?
- Our first stop will be the Fish Market for oysters and cheesy garlic bread, a little tradition of ours. It’s located right next to the airport and since he arrives in the afternoon, the outdoor patio will be a perfect spot for lunch. The restaurant is located right along San Diego Bay and has awesome views of military ships, sailboats and pelicans. I think this will be a great start to the weekend.
- The Del Mar Races are in full swing every Wednesday – Sunday until September 9, we’ve never been but we’re going to try our luck this Saturday. Gates open at 11:30 a.m. and tickets cost $6 for stretch run seating and $10 for clubhouse seats. Wish us luck! In addition to the races, this Saturday at the racetrack is the Craft Microbrew Festival from noon to 6 p.m. The festival will have live music from local bands and tasty taps form over 25 of San Diego’s finest breweries; admission to the festival is free with racetrack tickets. Can’t wait!
- Of course no trip to San Diego would be complete without a visit the beach. We’ll probably head over to my favorite, Ocean Beach, on Sunday morning to hang out and walk around. It’s a great location for people watching, something my dad and I both enjoy, as well as grabbing a quick bite and shopping…Hmm, I wonder if I can talk my dad into getting me a new pair of shoes??
- The first time my dad came to visit me in San Diego, we went to Busters Beach House & Longboard Bar in Seaport Village. We had such a great time, that we’ve gone back every time he’s visited and this weekend is no exception. We’ll be there sometime between 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. for the daily happy hour specials, $1 fish taco and $3 Pale Ale, yum! Before we leave, we’ll probably walk around Seaport Village and stay for some of the live music and entertainment.
- This weekend is the Latin American Festival and Mata Ortiz Pottery Market in Old Town. This free festival takes place Friday through Sunday at Bazaar del Mundo and will showcase really neat, authentic Mata Ortiz pottery, art, music and live art demonstrations. Since my dad has never been to Old Town, this will be a great stop before dinner on Sunday evening. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.