Last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to dine with the masterminds behind El Vitral Restaurant and Tequila Bar, a delicioso dining establishment in downtown San Diego. During our meal I dove in, fork first, to learn more about the concept, menu items and weekly specials.
- In July 2010, El Virtral was voted San Diego’s Best Mexican Restaurant by Riviera Magazine for the second year in a row.
- Signature menu items: guacamoles, ceviches, moles and traditional dishes from different regions in Mexico, with a modern twist.
- My favorite lunch/dinner menu items: Ceviche de Almeja (appetizer), Enchiladas Vegetariano (entrée), Enchiladas de Pato (entrée), Churros (dessert) and The Smoking Trippler (drink).
- All the food is made from fresh, local and sustainable ingredients. No lard is used in any of the dishes.
- Family influences can be seen throughout –especially in many of the recipes that have been passed down through the generations. The owner still includes his grandmother’s “secret ingredient” for the mole dishes.
- El Vitral carries over 250 types of tequila, including top of the line bottles like Clase Azul, agave classics and even celebrity tequilas, like Justin Timberlake’s 901. Tequila ranges from $7 – $300 per shot.
- El Vital Deals: On Wednesdays they offer $2 tacos; Thursdays they offer Tequila 101 Classes, which includes a 3-course meal, tequila tastings and entertainment for just $30; Saturdays and Sundays they offer an amazingly affordable brunch and $1 mimosas; Happy Hour is from 4 – 7 p.m. on weekdays.
Have I convinced you to check this place out yet? If so, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Salud!