1. Go green with the Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla as they present a new exhibit, Boundless Energy. Boundless Energy is an outdoor, interactive experience that explores how natural forces are used to power our lives. The exhibit will debut July 9, 2011 and will showcase innovative ways to harness renewable energy from the sun, wind and ocean.
2. The Maritime Museum of San Diego will be the home of a temporary exhibit, Cook, MellVille and Gaugin: Three Voyages to Paradise from May 27 2011-January 1, 2012. The exhibit will feature over 110 pieces showcasing the three distinct voyages to the South Pacific made by James Cook, Herman Melville and Paul Gauguin. The collection includes original paintings, engravings, whaling artifacts as well as the U.S. debut of the newly rediscovered wood sculpture, Nave Nave Faruru.
3. Travel to space at the San Diego Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park as they present the new exhibition, SPACE: A Journey to our Future, now through January 1, 2012. Highlighting the history and future of space exploration, SPACE offers a look into the dreamers, thinkers and risk takers who dedicate their life to exploring the unknown.
4. The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center will present a new exhibit that is sure to keep the kids entertained. The exhibit, Identity: An Exhibition of You will run from June 25-September 25, 2011. Children can explore their unique physical, psychological and social identities in interactive ways through a number of activities focused on genetic traits.
5. Don’t miss the exhibit, Ends of the Earth: From Polar Bears to Penguins at the San Diego Natural History Museum. Running through April 2012, the exhibit Travel from one end of our globe to the other to explore the fascinating (and cold!) worlds of the Arctic and Antarctic. Explore the unique nature of the Earth’s polar regions, the current science being undertaken there, and learn about these regions as indicators of climate change on our planet.
Interested in getting up close and personal with over 300 hands on exhibits at the Science Center? Comment below on and one person will be chosen to win four passes to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Comment by Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:00 am PST.