Discover San Diego’s Neighborhoods with our Summer Sweepstakes. Join us every week as we showcase the best in what to do, where to eat, and where to stay in some of San Diego’s unique neighborhoods. Be sure to check back for exciting insider tips, giveaways, and more! This week’s spotlight is on Coronado.
Things are heating up this summer in Coronado, just a bridge away from downtown San Diego. Visitors with swim towels, beach umbrellas and boogie boards are finding their happy place on the island’s 28 miles of beaches on sparkling San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
In addition to fun under the sun, following are Five Summer Events to Try on San Diego’s enchanted island:
1. Sure, there’s the soothing sound of palm trees swaying in the breeze, but visitors can also hear the sweet sound of live music in Coronado. A beloved local tradition is the Promenade Concert in the Park Series, which takes place every Sunday at 6:00 pm, through mid-September, in Spreckels Park. A perfect activity for families and picnickers; admission is free.
2. Also music to your ears: the Summer Concert Series at Coronado Ferry Landing which takes place every Saturday and Sunday from 2:00 – 5:00 pm, through September 5, at the Coronado Ferry Landing shops on scenic San Diego Bay. Featured musicians include the Crown Island Jazz Band, Coronado Big Band and Teagan Taylor Trio.
3. Bicycling across the iconic San Diego-Coronado Bridge is a rare and exciting opportunity that happens only once a year during Ride the Bridge-Bike the Bay on August 28. This 25-mile “fun ride” across the bridge and along the beautiful Bayshore Bikeway passes through Coronado’s Tidelands Park, Silver Strand State Beach and Glorietta Bay, as well as through neighboring San Diego, Imperial Beach, Chula Vista and National City. Register here.
4. When a show’s run is extended you know it’s good! The Lamb’s Players Theatre’s production of “The Music Man”continues to delight audiences through July 24. Children’s tickets (ages 5-17) to this great American musical are half price – sure to fill even more seats!
5. Coronado’s Centennial of Naval Aviation celebration continues through September 18 with the high-flying “Wings of Gold: Coronado and Naval Aviation” exhibit at the Coronado Museum of History & Art. In addition to photos of historic first flights, there’s an early pilot license signed by Orville Wright, model airplanes, a cool aircraft carrier mock-up and more.
We want to send you to Coronado in our “Live Like a Royal in San Diego’s Crown City” Sweepstakes. The trip for two includes a 2-night stay at the Hotel del Coronado, a 1-hour surrey rental from Bikes & Beyond, and a Pasaporto Cruise from The Gondola Company. Register to win here. Contest ends July 15, 2011.