Discover San Diego’s Neighborhoods with our Summer Sweepstakes. Join us every week as we showcase the best in what to do, where to eat, and where to stay in some of San Diego’s unique neighborhoods. Be sure to check back for exciting insider tips, giveaways, and more! This week’s spotlight is on Mission Valley/ Old Town.
Located in the San Diego River Valley, Old Town has historic significance as the birthplace of San Diego (and some argue of California), and Mission Valley is a centrally-located business and entertainment corridor with a slew of restaurants and outdoor shopping centers. Here’s a list of the top 10 things to do and see in Mission Valley/ Old Town.
- Presidio Park – A 50-acre park offer more than two miles of hiking trails in the middle of urban San Diego and views from Mission Valley to the Pacific Ocean.
- Serra Museum – Located in Presidio Park, the Serra Museum interprets San Diego history during Native American, Spanish and Mexican periods.
- Old Town San Diego State Historic Park – Features such historic sites as the main plaza, California’s first public school house, and an 1850 Catholic Cemetery.
- Whaley House Museum – The number one most haunted house in the U.S., according to the Travel Channel’s “Most Haunted.”
- Heritage Park Village – Features seven restored Victorian homes built between 1887 and 1896.
- Old Town boasts two dining, shopping, and entertainment complexes specializing in authentic Mexican cuisine, one-of-a-kind treasures, and live performances: Fiesta de Reyes and Bazaar del Mundo.
- Old Town Trolley Tour – Explore the best of San Diego aboard an Old Town Trolley. Experience more than 100 points of interest on this hop-on, hop-off tour equally as enjoyable for locals and tourists alike.
- Sheriff’s Museum – Captures more than 150 years of San Diego Sheriff’s Department history, providing visitors with a look into early communication, crime scene investigations, search and rescue, and the K-9 unit.
- Fashion Valley – An upscale outdoor shopping center with high-end department stores (Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom), specialty retailers (Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton), and a variety of eateries (PF Chang’s, The Cheesecake Factory).
- Play a round of golf at one of Mission Valley’s courses, including: Riverwalk Golf Club (host to the PGA Tour in the 50’s and 60’s), Mission Trails Golf Course (a scenic course adjacent to Cowles Mt. and Lake Murray), and Presidio Hills Golf Course (one of the oldest par 3 courses in the nation).
We want you to explore San Diego’s greatest sights aboard the Old Town Trolley. Comment below by Wed. June 22nd at 10:00 am and get entered to win four Old Town Trolley Tour passes. Tell us, where are your favorite places to visit near Mission Valley/ Old Town?