Search Our Blog
Images of San Diego
Tag Archives: summer
Last night, I was among the lucky few that got a sneak preview of the San Diego Zoo’s Wild Animal Park’s new African Summer Festival, which opens tomorrow (June 19 – September 6).
This festival is sure to be a big hit, because I only got a small sample of all the new activities and entertainment that will be offered throughout the park and I was blown away!
Keep your eyes and ears open for:
Robert, the digital talking zebra (who I unfortunately didn’t get to see)
Adorable animals (don’t forget to check out the baby elephants!!)
These AMAZING Tanzanian …
Labor Day weekend is upon us, which unofficially marks the end of summer and the beginning of fall. And while the transition of the seasons might go unnoticed in San Diego because our beach days and sunshine will last well into November (I’m not bragging, I’m just saying…), this weekend does mean “LAST CALL!” on some of San Diego’s summertime specialties:
- This Saturday and Sunday, over 300 of the world’s best bodysurfers will be in San Diego for the 33rd Annual World Body Surfing Championships. The event takes place from 6:30 a.m. until late afternoon on both days at the Oceanside Pier and Beach in Oceanside. The public can grab a spot and watch as men and women ages 12 – 65+ surf their hearts out for bragging rights as “the world’s best.”
- Enjoy a weekend of family fun and music at the Summergrass San Diego Bluegrass Festival this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The festival features bluegrass bands from around the world,
There’s fun stuff happening this weekend, especially on Sunday. So if you’re in the mood for great music, good food and whales and mimosas too, check out these weekend activities and events:
- Get your groove thang on this Saturday and Sunday at the North Park Music Thing, a two-day concert event. On Saturday
night around 7 p.m., a number of North Park’s most happening bars and clubs will transform into a concert hallapalooza during the Saturday Night Music Fest where over 100 bands will perform on 20 stages at venues like True North Tavern, Bar Pink and The Office
My dad is coming to visit me this weekend and I couldn’t be more excited! I decided to turn our weekend plans into a special “5 to try,” which includes some of our favorite things to do and some new places we’re going to check out.
I think we’re going to have a great time this weekend and maybe I’ll see you around?
- Our first stop will be the Fish Market for oysters and cheesy garlic bread, a little tradition of ours. It’s located right next to the airport and since he arrives in the afternoon, the outdoor patio will be
Want to see the BIGGEST movies for free this summer?
Now through Sept. 7, you can see IMAX flicks for free at The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park by printing out a Summer Splash coupon and paying regular gallery admission – $10 for adults, $8.75 for kids and seniors.
The Summer Splash IMAX movies are:
ADVENTURES IN WILD CALIFORNIA - Careen down an icy raven; skysurf on thermals above the clouds; swim through the oceans with otters; explore the heart of a thirty-story tall Giant Sequoia and ride one of California’s biggest, surfable waves in this virtual Golden State …
- It’s prime time for pride time because the 34th Annual San Diego LGBT Pride Parade and Festival takes place this weekend. On Saturday at 11 a.m. the pride parade sweeps the streets from Hillcrest to Balboa Park with over 180 celebrating floats. Then on Saturday and Sunday, the party continues with the pride festival in Balboa Park featuring multiple entertainment stages, musicians, bands, comedy and dance performers, art exhibits, music and great food. The parade is free and single day tickets to the festival are $20.
- The Annual U.S. Open Sandcastle Competition takes place this weekend in Imperial Beach with a
Did you ever want to be a sailor?
Adults and kids can make rope for sailing, move cargo around the decks, raise and lower the huge sails, tie sailor’s knots, climb through a steam engine and much more.
Kids are also invited to take part in a scavenger …
Summer vacation is officially here and SeaWorld has awesome deals to save you money when you visit Shamu and friends:
- score an adult ticket at the kids’ price and get a second visit free
- AAA members show your membership card and get an adult ticket at the kids’ price and a kids’ ticket at half price
- if you live in the area, spring for the SeaWorld Fun Cardand get free repeat admission to SeaWorld through the end of 2009
- and, especially appropriate as we head into the Independence weekend, the Here’s to the Heroesprogram provides free single-day admission
Did you know we’ve got an online radio show?
Yep, each Friday, local expert and veteran reporter Darlynne Reyes-Menkin hits the airwaves (webwaves? netwaves?) with Travel Like A Local - a half-hour travel show chock full of fun insider tips on what’s happening around town.
Last week, she interviewed guests who spoke about all the summer activities at Loews Coronado Bay Resort - ranging from Modern Mixology classes to guided herb garden tours – and the free outdoor summer movies presented by San Diego County Parks & Recreation.
Organic cocktails and outdoor movies? Sounds like a perfect summer afternoon to me!…