One of my favorite activities to do with the kids is exploring San Diego’s many tide pools. They love seeing what might be hiding between the rocks. The best time to see these little creatures are from late fall through early spring as low daytime tides reveal wider beaches and pools teeming with native marine life such as hermit crabs, sea hares and sea anemones. Check the surf report to make sure the tide is low, a 1.0 foot tide or lower is Ok, but you will have a better chance of seeing more marine plants and animals when the tide is minus. Below is a list of my top spots for tide pools in San Diego.
1. San Diego Beer Week: From November 4-13, hundreds of beer-centric events take place throughout the county during this 10-day festival that highlights San Diego’s award-winning craft beer, breweries and pubs. Two capstone events are the San Diego Brewers Guild Festival’s kick-off on November 5 at Liberty Station on Point Loma and the closing event, a beer and food pairing at the Lodge at Torrey Pines in La Jolla on November 13.
I recently had the pleasure of doing some “research” at Poppy Boutique, in Rancho Santa Fe. The name alone was reason to entice me through the door. The decor is fun and vibrant with clean white walls accented with pink and orange details. From the over-sized hot pink and white tic-tac-toe board to the custom […]
1. San Diego Asian Film Festival: From October 20-28, International film fanatics will have the opportunity to partake in one of the largest exhibitions of Asian international and Asian American cinema in North America. Along with narrative features, the Festival also showcases documentaries, short films and animation. 2. Harvest Festival: The 39th Annual Harvest Festival […]
Today is National Dessert Day (not that I need a day to celebrate it!) and coincidently, the iconic US Grant and the world’s most famed cupcake bakery, Sprinkles Cupcakes are teaming up to provide a “Sweet Indulgence” package. This limited time package is in honor of the US Grant’s 101st birthday in October. This is […]
1. TRASH, The New Children’s Museum: Features the work of 12 artists from around the globe focused on the kid-friendly and timely topic of trash. The exhibition encompasses each work of art, hands on art-making projects, school curricula, artist lectures, family workshops and special events. The exhibition opens with a free community block party on […]
1. Little Italy FESTA: Head down to Little Italy on Sunday, October 9 for the 17th Annual Little Italy FESTA. This colorful Italian celebration features music, fine food and “Gesso Italiano,” a traditional Italian street-painting festival. 2. Taste of North Park: On Saturday, October 8 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. North Park will be […]
1. MCAS Miramar Air Show: Part of San Diego”s annual Fleet Week celebration, the year”s air show will celebrate the centennial of San Diego”s naval aviation, September 30-October 2. Among the planes featured in the salute are vitnage biplanes, Air Force Thunderbirds, a Navy Super Hornet and numerous stealth fighter jets. La Jolla Art & […]
I know where we will be in October! In celebration of the organization’s fouding, children 3 to 11 years old will receive free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in October. Throughout the month, the Zoo and the Park are offering extra on-grounds presentations on the weekends, a […]
Saturday, September 24 is National Museum Day, an annual event hosted by Smithsonian magazine in which participating museums across the country open their doors for Free to anyone presenting a Museum Day ticket. You must register on the Smithsonian magazine website in order to receive the Museum Day ticket. There are 14 museums participating in San […]